Friday, February 20, 2009

Fri 20 Feb

Thought I'd change the format of my posts a little bit. I know I stay more consistent when I journal regularly, but it probably doesn't make for very interesting reading. So I'll try and put the more interesting stuff at the start of my posts, and keep the 'consistency' stuff for the end of each post, so it's easy to skim over if you're not interested.

I've been in a great mood today. I slept well and woke up with no pain in my upper body. I think laying off the yoga has really helped with that. I'm gradually learning that 'less is more' when it comes to my upper body. I can't train more than two days in a row (even if one of those days is legs) or my upper back/shoulder area really starts to ache. I figured this out last year when I was mostly doing upper/lower splits then a couple of times I switched to 'bodybuilding style' workouts where I was training three days in a row and I started to fall apart. And now I know I can't do a lot of power yoga while weight training as it doesn't give my upper body enough rest. I'm still doing some of yoga stretches in the gym after training (especially for my glutes and hamstrings) but that's about it for now. It just means I will have to find some other recovery methods to replace it.

I think I also figured out why my weight has been a bit higher this week. While I've added in 10 minutes of incline treadmill walking at the end of each weights workout (4 x per week = 40mins), I've taken out about 3 sessions of yoga per week (3 x 30mins = 90mins), so overall am doing 50mins less exercise than I was previously.

I've been pretty hungry today (hope I'm growing after last night's workout!) and had eaten my afternoon tea by lunchtime. I ended up having an extra meal (repeat of meal 2), which wasn't such a great idea because it had yoghurt in it. I bought a different brand this week and it doesn't seem to be sitting as well in my stomach as the other stuff I eat. I've been thinking more and more about going dairy-free for a month or so as an experiment. I don't really eat a lot of it anyway as it makes me sleepy or bloated/windy, and Rob prefers not to eat dairy at all so he's keen.

I really looked forward to training tonight as I knew Rob would be going to the gym at the same time as me. We used to train together all the time and have such a laugh. Sometimes I'd get the giggles in the middle of a set and not be able to carry on. We didn't train the same things tonight (I did legs, he did upper body), but it was still nice to have him there.

I'm looking forward to the weekend. We have a wedding to go to on Saturday, then the couple are having lunch the next day at restaurant-bar. Might be a bit of a challenge food-wise but I have some off-plan meals up my sleeve and will try my best to be prepared.

Have a great weekend!

Sleep: 11-7 (8 hours)
Weight: 62.9
Lifestyle cardio: walk TJ to park
Training: lower body B, incline treadmill walk 10 mins
Water: 2.5/3
Food: 6/7
Off plan meal = kangaroo patties, McCain wedges (oven baked), salad

No comments: