Thursday, December 26, 2013
Tuesday, November 12, 2013
We planted some seedlings in early October, and after a false start (the mulch made great hiding spots for earwigs, which nibbled all the green leafy veges), they're growing well.
The back bed (to the left of the compost bin) has beetroot and lettuce, the middle bed has parsley, coriander and bok choy, and the front bed has three different kinds of tomatoes. We've been harvesting the coriander for a week or so now, and will have the first of the bok choy tonight.
Saturday, September 21, 2013
I haven’t blogged much lately, but I’ve been keeping busy around the house.
I painted the hallway. ‘Before’ pic below (with some sample colours painted on the left-hand wall)
The green made it feel dark and old-fashioned. ‘After’ pic below – much lighter!
I also set up some garden beds in the back yard. I wanted them to be raised, as we have a large dog, and also because an apple tree has the prime spot and I needed to work around that. To save money I used bricks we already had to form the edges of the beds.
Will be planting the garden beds out with veges in the next few weeks.
Thursday, July 4, 2013
A couple of years ago Rob noticed a small lump on TJ’s flank. It slowly got bigger, so last year the vet took a biopsy of it. It wasn’t cancerous, just a lipoma (soft fatty tissue mass), but we were advised to have it removed within the next six to 12 months. It continued to increase in size so we decided to go ahead with having it removed as we were worried about how many stitches TJ would have to have if it continued to grow. So yesterday he went in to have the lump removed.
I took him down to the vet (about 10 minutes’ walk from our house), and Rob and his friend Luke went to pick him up. They managed to get him into Luke’s car OK (TJ loves going in the car!) but he didn’t want to get out. He was still dopey from the anaesthetic, and every time he moved towards the door of the car he banged the Elizabethan collar around his head and yelped from the discomfort of the wound. We ended up building a little ramp from the car door down to the driveway, then I got in behind TJ to encourage him to get out, and Rob coaxed him from the front. He finally got out and I got him into the house.
His ‘after’ pic below, but be warned, it’s pretty gory! He has a tube in to help drain away fluid and infection from the site, so he’s dripping a bit, and finds it hard to get comfortable. We all had quite a restless night! The drain will come out in about five days, and the stitches another five days after that. In the meantime we have to restrict his activity. That should be fairly easy to begin with – I took him outside to go to the toilet this morning, and he just huddled against a bush then wanted to come inside again. I think he’s feeling the cold with a big chunk of fur missing!
Tuesday, May 7, 2013
Come in, let me show you around…
The shower screen is hinged so it can be pushed to one side when it’s not in use, to make the room seem bigger:
Before and After Pics
Now the basin is the first thing you see. You might be able to spot the little panel heater just behind the door in the pic below. It has a timer on it so it’s set to come on before we get up in the morning so we have a nice warm bathroom:
The space is much more user-friendly now. Rob and I can both use the bathroom at the same time, and there’s even a spot for TJ:
We also had the toilet renovated, with new floor tiles to match the bathroom, and a new toilet suite. I also painted the toilet, as it used to be green and white, like the hall wall to the right in the pic below. Changing that is my next job…
Thursday, May 2, 2013
I decided to keep working on the walls today. Where I had hand-painted (cut in) the corners of the bathroom that the roller couldn’t get to, it looked a bit lighter than the rolled areas, so I hand-painted those areas again, just to get everything looking uniform.
Then it was on to the toilet walls. They were a bit patchy from the partial prep coat applied a week ago, so I sanded back the rough bits, vacuumed up the dust off the floor and walls, then applied another prep coat, waited two hours then put a coat of colour on.
Tomorrow I’ll put the last coat of colour on the toilet walls, then do the windows and doors in both rooms.