Friday, November 12, 2010

Friday 12 November

It's been almost three weeks now since I've had any coffee. Woot!

I've also exercised consistently for almost three weeks, and Rob commented that I haven't been sick yet. Usually when I start exercising consistently I start feeling sick (scratchy throat etc). I now know that I need to consume plenty of antioxidants to compensate for free radical build-up caused by intense exercise (I have a negative variation in the MnSOD gene that results in a 30-40% reduction in antioxidation). I take GliSODin daily, and that helps make that 'scratchy throat' feeling go away. I also take a B-vitamin that contains folate, which can help reduce the effects of free radical damage. My diet is rich in fruits and vegetables, soy and garlic, which are all natural sources of antioxidants.

Over-accumulation of toxic substances called xenobiotics (which include caffeine and alcohol) can also cause flu-like symptoms and low exercise tolerance if the body isn't able to efficiently remove them (and mine isn't), so I think that reducing my coffee and alcohol consumption has really helped too!

6.00: lemon water, Combust, BCAAs

Exercise:
- foam rolling
- Sprint 8
- walk with Rob and TJ

7.30: mix of soy milk, sliced banana, raw oats, cherries, walnuts and diced choc-nut caramel protein bar

7.45: shower and get dressed

10.30: eggplant and bean dip with veggies (sugar snap peas, cucumber, carrot, celery)

12.30 gluten-free wrap with refried beans, avocado, coriander, tomato, alfalfa sprouts

3.00: cashews, pistachios, pear

6.00: 2 glasses sparkling wine

7.00: spiced tofu (tofu simmered with hoisin sauce, ginger, chillies and vegetable stock), mashed garlic cauliflower with Flora pro-active

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

How strange and interesting about regular exercise making you sick!

Charlotte Orr said...

Hi Kathleen, yes and frustrating too - I would just get into the swing of things then start feeling terrible.