Friday, April 23, 2010

Thursday

Breakfast today was Maple Trail Mix Oatmeal (made with soy milk and maple syrup, plus two egg whites cooked in):

22April2010 001

I never thought I’d say this but I’m getting sick of sweet breakfasts. Might have to have something savoury next week.

For morning tea I had a homemade protein bar and some celery:

22April2010 002

Lunch today was a bit of everything - black beans, stir-fry leftovers, avocado, pumpkin seeds, red onion, tomatoes and spicy tofu:

22April2010 003

When I saw passionfruit in my fruit and vege box this afternoon I knew exactly what I wanted to make for my afternoon tea: Kek’s Passionfruit souffle omelette. I didn’t have all the ingredients, so had to make a couple of substitutions (I used low-fat plain yoghurt, passionfruit pulp and stevia instead of Dairy Farmers Light Vine Passionfruit yoghurt; no ricotta; and gluten-free flour), but it still tasted delicious!

22April2010 004

Warning, you may not want to read the following while eating.

I had a suspicion that the vanilla whey protein I have been using was what gave me a sore stomach for a couple of weeks at the start of this month. I’ve been having rice protein or chocolate whey protein (a different brand to the vanilla) for the last few days. Rob had some of the vanilla whey on Tuesday morning, and he was vomiting by early evening.  I thought it was just because dairy products don’t usually agree with him, but when I had it again this afternoon in my omelette, I literally got food poisoning. My stomach bloated up, then I started vomiting and having diarrhoea. I think there might be something wrong with the protein powder we have, but regardless it is the last confirmation for me that whey protein and I do not mix. I am going back to plant-based protein powders, for good.

4 comments:

Raechelle said...

Dang-that sounds awful...yes must be something wrong with that batch for sure! Glad you didn't end up in hospital!

Yes, probably a sign to stay away from whey.
Hope you are feeling better now.

Charlotte Orr said...

Thanks Raechelle,
I've asked the manufacturer to look into the batch and check it's OK. I am still a bit wiped out but not spending any more time in the toilet, LOL.

Anonymous said...

Wow Charlotte - that is awful.......

but

thanks for posting your food pics - i love them!!! x

Charlotte Orr said...

Thanks Fern, it was awful. Glad you like the food pics though!