Thursday, April 15, 2010

Little Miss Grumpy

After not eating much for 11 days then training on Monday, I should have eaten more carbs than usual, not less, but it wasn’t until Tuesday night, when I was being ‘snippy’ at Rob for no reason, that I realised I was a bit depleted. So I had a much higher carb day today (Wednesday).

Breakfast this morning was cherry chocolate oatmeal (recipe below):

14April2010 002 

Cherry Chocolate Oatmeal

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup (40g) rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup skim milk (or your favourite milk substitute – I used malt-free soy milk)
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 cup frozen cherries
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 tsp cocoa
  • 1/2 scoop chocolate protein powder
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 6g chopped walnut pieces

Directions

In a medium sized pot, heat the oats, milk, water, frozen cherries and salt over medium heat. Once the mixture begins to simmer, turn it down to medium-low and stir frequently until the mixture thickens.

Stir in the cocoa and cinnamon, then turn off the heat. Mix in the protein powder then scrap the mixture into a serving bowl and top with walnuts.

---

For my morning snack I had some chickpeas, an orange, some cashews and some celery:

14April2010 001

Then I went to the gym to do day 2 of my program. When I came back from the gym I was still grumpy and inhaled my lunch, a stack of

  • brown rice
  • refried beans
  • cooked red pepper, red onions, mushrooms, rainbow chard
  • salsa
  • grated spicy tofu

plus some raisins:

14April2010 003

My afternoon snack was a pear and some pecans:

14April2010 004

Dinner was gluten-free spaghetti bolognese:

14April2010 005

I finally felt ‘normal’ again after eating this.

Then I was hungry (and thirsty) again before going to bed so had another snack – a hot chocolate made with protein powder and a little bit of lactose-free milk:

14April2010 006

2 comments:

Dianna Broeren said...

Geez...if your snippy on those beautiful meals I've been drooling over you'd be a wicked witch on my nutrition plan :)

Charlotte Orr said...

Hi Di, they were fine while I wasn't exercising but I needed more once I started training again. I just have to be careful not to overdo it now :)