Friday, July 24, 2009

Friday 24 July

Finally got myself a new computer. It's a Hewlett Packard Probook 4710S



It's a desktop replacement. I work from home but don't always like to be in my office, so I decided to go for the portability of a laptop.

It comes with Windows Vista Business, but it's got the downgrade to Windows XP Professional pre-installed, which suits me as that's the operating system I'm used to using and I don't have time to learn something new before I start my next job next week.

It's not particularly travel-friendly (around 3kg, and described as 'huge and heavy' in this review), but I'm mostly going to be using it around the house or outside, or maybe at a local cafe. It does have good battery life for such as large laptop though. Why so large? Because I work with text all day it was important for me to have a big screen, and this one has a 17 inch widescreen, which means I can have two documents open side by side. It also has an anti-glare (matt) screen, which makes for easier reading, especially if I'm sitting in a sunny spot.

Other bonuses: wi-fi; bluetooth (so I can easily use a wireless mouse and keyboard with it if I want to); integrated microphone and webcam (Skype!?); separate numeric keypad (I hate using the numbers above the QWERTY keys - I'm much faster with a numeric keypad!); spill-resistant keyboard, and 'driveguard' to protect the hard drive against impact, bumps or drops (Charlotte-proof!). And HP say that its Business Notebook PCs are designed to reduce their impact on the environment by eliminating or reducing substances of concern, using fewer resources, reducing energy consumption, and designing for recyclability.

Now I just have to get it out of the box and set it up...

---
PWO meal worked much better today.

7.00: 1 serve Vital Greens, 1 sc Sun Warrior, 'muesli' made with 1 grated apple, cinnamon, 1 Tbsp sunflower seeds; 6 fish oil, 1 vit B

train upper body

10:00: shake made w 1 sc Sun Warrior, 1/2 c almond milk, 1/2 c water, 1/2 banana, 1 c kale; 1 fist-sized piece of sweet potato

1.00: black bean soup (made with refried beans)

4.00: 1/4 c dried edamame, 1/4 c pumpkin seeds, 2 carrots

6.00 soy latte with Rob after work (first coffee since being back in Australia and it didn't sit well in my stomach)

8.00: Vegetable Curry, pear; 6 fish oil caps

3 comments:

Tara said...

noice new puter Charlotte! hows your weight going? is it moving much? hope u have a wonderful weekend. xx

Unknown said...

The computer sounds just perfect for your needs.

Excuse my ignorance, but what's a PWO meal??

:)

Charlotte Orr said...

Thanks Tara! Will write about my weight in my next post.

Hi Ashwee, a PWO meal is a Post Workout Meal. After working out I usually have a meal that is higher in starchy carbs than at other meals.