Quinoa is gluten-free but it has quite an ‘earthy’ taste so I don’t eat it very often. I was inspired by a quinoa recipe I saw recently in the O2 Diet, and decided to give it another go.
Last night I cooked some quinoa and put some frozen berries in the fridge to defrost so I’d be able to quickly put together breakfast after my cardio session this morning (50 minutes on the elliptical).
Quinoa, Yoghurt and Berry Parfait
- 1 cup cold cooked quinoa (approx 150g)
- 200g plain yoghurt (I used Black Swan lactose-free yoghurt)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup frozen blueberries, defrosted
- 2 Creative Gourmet berry antioxidant smoothie cubes, defrosted
1. Mix the cooked quinoa, yoghurt, vanilla and cinnamon together in a small bowl
2. Gently mix the defrosted blueberries and smoothie cubes together.
3. Spoon 1/3 of the quinoa mixture into a glass, then 1/3 of the blueberry mixture. Repeat the layers twice, ending with blueberry mixture on top.
I really enjoyed this and so did Rob, who usually prefers eggs for breakfast.
Lunch was a gluten-free wrap with hummus, sliced roast beef and ‘tabouli’ (made without cracked wheat)
Dinner was steak, potatoes and roasted vegetables
I had the dressing on my stitches changed today and everything seems fine. I just have to avoid getting the area wet until the stitches come out on Monday so no swimming for me for the next week or so.
See you tomorrow!