Thursday, June 4, 2009

Eating Seasonally

Just placed my fruit and vege order with Greenline for delivery tomorrow. Items on the specials list included avocadoes, green capsicum, cauliflower, dried apricots and pumpkin, so I decided to use these to form the basis for my meals next week. Lunches will be beef burger patties with garlic mashed cauliflower, and I'm going to do three different things for dinners:

- chicken fajitas in the crockpot (using the capsicum and avocado)
- Kek's Casablanca Chicken (using the dried apricots and pumpkin)
- Lamb & Chickpea Tagine (from the latest Coles brochure)

I'm getting the rest of my groceries delivered by Coles Online on Saturday, including organic meat and poultry.

On Saturday morning I'm planning to do some housework while waiting for the Coles delivery to arrive (there's a four-hour window for delivery), then once it's all packed away I'll head off to the gym. On Sunday morning I'll put the crockpot on with a double batch of one of the dinners mentioned above, and make up the lunches for the week.

Rob does great poached eggs (his contribution to the cooking!) so will probably be having those for breakfast most mornings, on top of refried beans - yum!

Other snacks during the day will be pretty simple to minimise cooking time and dishes (no dishwasher and I'm getting sick of facing a huge pile of dishes each day).

Gotta head off to the gym now. Legs!

6 comments:

Kek said...

Yum! Can I come live at your house?

What do you use for wraps for your chicken fajitas, being gluten-free and all?

Charlotte Orr said...

Hi Kek, only if you do some of the cooking, LOL.

Diego's and Mission both do white corn tortillas that are gluten free. I've had the Diego's ones before and they are OK - not as soft as flour tortillas and tend to break quite easily. Probably better suited to enchiladas. I'm ordering the Mission ones this time so hopefully they're a bit better.

Anonymous said...

I've just realised that a lot of my fruit and vegetables can't be bought as each instead by the kg. By doing it this way it appears that we will risk either getting to many or to few. Is this the case Charlotte?

Charlotte Orr said...

Hi Lia, maybe try calling them to place your order and that way you could say about how many of each thing you want.
I've been ordering online from them for a while now so I now roughly how many of each thing I'll get in a kilo. The apples can sometimes be quite small, and the oranges quite big, so if you order a kilo of each, you might get 10 apples but only 4 oranges. I'd say you'd probably get about 6 nashi pears in a kilo? And mandarins maybe 10 in a kilo? Tomatoes probably 8 in a kilo.
One small head of broccoli is about 300g. You'd get about 3 small zucchini in 300g, and a couple of capsicum for 250g. A butternut pumpkin is probably a kilo. Most other stuff (cabbage, cauliflower etc) you can order by the head, so that's pretty straightforward.
Let me know if you need help with anything!

Charlotte Orr said...

Oops, just realized you can buy nashi pears individually so that's easy.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Charlotte, this is going to take a little more organisation on my part so will try again once I get back from seeing Lindy. Instead I'll head into the markets tomorrow morning. :o)