Friday, May 29, 2009

That Does It!

My feet tell me when I've had too much of a food that doesn't agree with me. If I have too much wheat (especially bread) or sugar over the course of a few days, I get itchy welts on my feet.

And I know some dairy makes me feel bloated, and some protein powders make me feel tired, but I forgot how much until this morning. Because I was hungry yesterday, and had some chocolate whey in the house, I had a couple of serves of protein pudding with coconut last night. I've been waking up really easily all week, but this morning I struggled to get out of bed after 10 hours' sleep!

So I'm pretty sure I know what my body doesn't like, but I've decided I want some definite answers instead of just going on guesswork. Today when I was at Evelyn Faye I picked up a allergy food test:

Using a few drops of blood, the Allery-Food Check assessment will analyze your body's reaction to 96 different common foods through detection of food-specific IgG antibodies via ELISA methodology.

Allergic reactions to common foods such as milk, wheat, corn, soy, citrus, tomatoes and peanuts may be mistakenly attributed to passing viral infections or recurrent "colds". The relationship between the many common symptoms (including fatigue, headache, anxiety, as well as itchy runny nose and puffy eyelids) and the allergies that caused them may go unrecognized for years. Increased stress, recurrent infections or declining health may add to the burden of chronic allergies. Over the years, arthritis, gastrointestinal disorders, autoimmune disease, eczema, and migraines, to name a few serious conditions linked with food allergies, can develop into chronic conditions if the offending allergens are not discovered and removed from the diet.

The 96 General Foods to be tested:

Dairy:
Casein, Cheese (Cheddar) Cheese (Cottage), Cheese (Mozzarella), Whey, Milk, Milk (Goat), Yogurt.

Fish/Crustacea/Mollusk:
Clam (Manila), Cod (Atlantic), Crab (Dungeness), Halibut, Lobster, Oyster, Red Snapper, Salmon (Pacific), Shrimp (Western), Sole, Tuna (Yellowfin).

Vegetables:
Asparagus, Avocado, Beet, Broccoli, Cabbage (White), Carrot, Cauliflower, Celery, Cucumber, Garlic, Lettuce, Mushroom (Common), Olive (Black), Onion (White), Pepper (Green), Bell, Potato (Sweet), Potato (White), Pumpkin, Radish, Spinach (Green), Squash, Zucchini, Tomato (Red).

Grains/Legumes/Nuts:
Almond, Amaranth Flour, Barley, Bean (Kidney), Bean (Lima), Bean (Pinto), Bean (Soy), Bean (String), Buckwheat, Coconut, Corn, Filbert, Gliadin (Wheat), Gluten (Wheat), Lentil, Oat, Pea (Green), Peanut (Runner), Pecan, Rice (White), Rye, Sesame, Spelt, Sunflower, Walnut, Wheat (Whole).

Fruits:
Apple, Apricot, Banana, Blueberry, Cranberry, Grape (Red), Grapefruit, Lemon, Orange, Papaya, Peach, Pear, Pineapple, Plum, Raspberry (Red), Strawberry.

Meat/Fowl:
Beef, Chicken, Egg White (Chicken), Egg Yolk (Chicken), Lamb, Pork, Turkey.

Misc:
Cocoa Bean, Coffee Bean, Honey, Sugar Cane, Yeast (Baker's), Yeast (Brewer's)

Approximately 15 business days after receiving your sample, a report indicating your food reactions will be mailed to you. In addition, a customized 4-Day Elimination and Rotation Diet Plan may be sent as part of your results, depending on results.

So I am going to do the test on Monday and hope to have the results back in a couple of weeks. I think I will probably have positive reactions in the Dairy; Grains/Legumes/Nuts; and Misc sections, but I guess I will soon know for sure.

4 comments:

sarahz said...

Is this test expensive?

Becca said...

That is awesome, I didn't know there were home tests that could send away for results! I am interested to know what your results are. You seem to be very in tune with your body and what it can handle. I never pay that close of attention but need to start keeping track of what I eat compared to how I feel.

Very cool, Charlotte.
Becca

Anonymous said...

thats really cool i hope you can find out more about your body in the long run it will help heaps-love max

Charlotte Orr said...

Hi Sarah, it'll be $275 all up - $75 for the kit then $200 to the lab for processing.