Monday, January 19, 2009

Why sugar isn't good for ME

First posted 10am Monday 19 January
Edited 10pm Monday 19 January

My gene test shows:


  • I am at increased risk for cardiovascular disease and Type II diabetes.
  • My body is not very good at converting free radicals to non-harmful molecules.

So, what does sugar do?

Sugar creates free radicals

In addition to the more well-known effects on teeth, sugar may also be bad for your blood vessels and many other areas of the body, according to a new study from the University at Buffalo.

  • The study showed that excess sugar in the bloodstream stimulates the generation of free radicals.
  • In blood vessels, free-radical damage causes an accumulation of plaque that can lead to blocked arteries and cardiovascular disease.
  • According to the researchers type II diabetes is associated with an increase in free-radical generation.
  • source

    So if I want to lower the risk of disease and inflammation, and slow down the aging process, it's important for me to limit the amount of sugar in my diet.

    No comments: