Sunday, August 17, 2008

Results

I received the results from my Excelgene GeneElite test recently. Here’s what I’ve been able to glean from my report:

Body Fat Metabolism GOOD
Lipid metabolism and insulin sensitivity are both normal. I benefit from cardiovascular training programs.

Lean Body Mass Development POOR
Variations in ACE and MTHFR mean I am at increased risk for insulin resistance and cardiovascular disease. Increasing my intake of B vitamins, such as B6, B12 and folate, will help in reducing homocysteine levels, associated with coronary heart disease, pulmonary embolism, stroke and deep vein thrombosis. Allium vegetables (eg onions and garlic) contain antioxidants and have been shown to help prevent blood clotting.

Variations in eNOS3 and MCT1 both suggest I should monitor my weight training loads closely. My combination of lower blood flow to the muscle combined with poor lactic acid transportation may result in faster muscle fatigue. I need to improve anaerobic performance. My body may be slower to adapt to increased lactic acid levels, in which case training intensity should be increased slowly.

Recovery AVERAGE
I have variations in the MnSOD and CYP1A1 genes, which means my body is not very good at converting free radicals (formed by things such as high intensity exercise) to non-harmful molecules. In fact I have a gene that causes a 50% increase in free radical production. Free radicals can attack and chemically alter DNA, and free radical damage can potentially lead to cardiovascular disease, chronic inflammation and accelerated ageing. I need to consume proper levels of antioxidants to help compensate for free radical build up. Folate is involved in the repair of DNA, so a diet rich in folate can help reduce the effects of free radical damage to DNA.

Nutrition POOR
I lack the required detoxification mechanisms to remove free radicals formed by toxic waste (xenobiotics). Over accumulation of xenobiotics can lead to a range of health problems. A diet high in cruciferous vegetables (eg broccoli and cauliflower), allium vegetables, citrus peel and the spice tumeric will aid in detoxification, which will improve exercise tolerance and reduce fatigue.

5 comments:

Kek said...

Genetic profiling is really exciting stuff, Charlotte - what a great advantage it gives us!

I'm finally getting my own test done....I have a few to do for clients too, can't wait to see allthe results!

P.S. I sourced some agave syrup online - looking forward to trying it.

:o)

Anonymous said...

wow how much did this cost (approx) and where to get it? Have you decided on which or if you will be doing both comps? how is your hand u cut? how will you be changing things in regards to results from gene test?

ss2306 said...

Interesting Charlotte. I guess it's what you do with the information now that may make all the difference. Have a great week. I made it through my 14 days of "lean & green" and am feeling absolutely fabulous for it. No sugar or artificial sweeteners in all that time and I don't even miss them. In fact, I'm a bit scared to ever consume them again after what they did to me. My first high carb day today - yippee!

Anonymous said...

Isn't it amazing what modern technology can tell us about ourselves Charlotte. It certainly takes all the guessing out of the equation. What are you thoughts on your results? :o) xxx

Splice said...

That is so interesting, thanks for sharing this. I have been thinking about getting it done myself.
Are you happy you got it done?
Deb