Thursday, August 21, 2008

Consistency

I like Craig's attitude:

My Exercise Philosophy

My overall exercise philosophy is to be consistent over my life-time. And I am. Whether I'm lifting huge weights, moderate weights, high reps, low reps, three days or five days a week, doesn't really matter over the long term. What matters is that I don't spend my life starting various exercise programs that I never maintain. Over the last two months I have increased my gym sessions to lifting weights four or five days per week and for the moment, I'm seeing results and enjoying the ride. My cardio 'rule' is that I do something a minimum of three days per week for a minimum of thirty minutes each time. Every week of my life. Sometimes it's easy, sometimes it's more intense but I never do the same thing, the same way for too long; my body doesn't like it, either does my mind. Sometimes (often in summer) I go through phases where I will do less weights (2-3 per week) and more cardio (5-7 per week). As long as I'm relatively fit, strong and functional, it doesn't matter too much how I break it up. I could be in shape at 85 kgs (187 lbs) or 95 kgs (209 lbs); depending how much muscle I'm carrying, how I'm training and how I'm managing my diet. I could also be out of shape (fat) at 90 kgs (198 lbs). As I write this, I weigh 93 kgs (205 lbs) at about 15% body-fat (not amazing but not too bad for a middle-aged endomorph).

No comments: