Saturday, August 1, 2009

Epiphany

Because I'm a 'control freak' and a bit of a stickler for 'following the rules', I tend to follow recipes pretty closely, including the vegetables used. So when I plan out my dinners for the week and do my fruit and vege order, I include all the vegetables in the recipes I'm using. Which can be time consuming: on Monday I need x for this recipe, and on Tuesday I need x for this recipe, etc. And I end up spending more time thinking about food and shopping on the internet than I'd really like to. Fruit is not so bad because I just get a 'seasonal fruit box' along with the vegetables, and often end up with more variety than if I just chose the fruit myself.

Today I had an epiphany. Why not get a 'vegetable box' instead of getting specific veges for each recipe? That way I don't have to spend so long thinking and shopping. Sure I won't be following the recipes exactly, but I know enough about food that I can substitute one thing for another, and surely it's better to eat what's in season than follow a recipe exactly?

So from Friday next week I will trial getting both seasonal fruit and vege boxes. Score one for time management!

2 comments:

Raechelle said...

Good luck with that girl! Looking forward to seeing what you come up...might have to get creative...good for you!

Charlotte Orr said...

Thanks Raechelle!