Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Tasty Kale recipes (for Liz)

There are a couple of different kinds of kale (see my previous post here; I like the second kind best)

I like to use kale a few different ways:

- in a shake: blend a generous handful of chopped leaves with chocolate protein powder, 1/2c non-dairy milk (I usually use homemade almond milk), one pear or half a banana, and water

- as chips: place chopped leaves in a large bowl and massage with olive oil and seasonings of choice until coated. Place on an oven tray in a single layer and bake on low until crispy

- in salad (see below)

Skinny Green Tacos
Recipe from June/July 2008 edition of Australian Oxygen

Makes 4 servings

1 cup spinach
1 cup mixed greens
2 kale leaves, chopped
1/2 an avocado, pitted and diced
1 Tbsp coriander, finely chopped
1/2 cup canned black beans
1 tomato, diced
pinch cayenne pepper and cumin
4 large red cabbage leaves
2 Tbsp salsa
1 tsp low-fat sour cream, optional

1. Combine spinach, greens, kale, avocado, coriander, beans, tomato and seasoning
2. Spread about 1/2 cup inside each cabbage leaf, add salsa and sour cream as desired. Roll leaf tightly closed, like a taco shell.

Nutrients per serving: calories: 92; fat 4g; carb 13g; protein 3g

I will sometimes add grilled chicken breast to my 'taco'. Minced chicken or other meat would be nice too. Otherwise add extra beans to boost the protein content.

2 comments:

LizN said...

Those tacos sound really good and I didn't mind how my crispy kale turned out.

Thanks Charlotte!
Cheers
Liz;)

ss2306 said...

I love Kale but a bit lazy so just stirfry mine. But thinking the chiipies sound good.