Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Interesting links, tough exercise, and rice pudding for breakfast

Interesting Links

Further to yesterday's post, here are two more interesting links about NOT counting calories:

All about dietary displacement

Looking Past the Numbers: A Different Way to Evaluate the Health of Any Given Food

---

Tough exercise

Today was upper body training, with lots of shoulders. After doing push presses, standing DB shoulder presses and vertical thrusts, I was reduced to using 2kg DBs for Iron Crosses - these are a killer!



---

Rice pudding for breakfast



This is my current breakfast/postworkout meal: banana flax brown rice porridge with walnuts (adapted from Sheila Viers' Banana Flax Oatmeal with Toasted Walnuts)

Ingredients
1/2 cup cooked brown rice
1/2 cup non-dairy milk (I use malt-free soy milk)
1/2 cup water
pinch of salt
1/2 medium banana, sliced into thin pieces
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp flaxseed meal
1/4 tsp mixed spice
5g walnut pieces

Directions
In a medium size pan, heat the cooked rice, milk, water, and salt over medium heat. Once the mixture begins to simmer, stir in the sliced banana. Continue to simmer until the banana breaks down and all the liquid has been absorbed (5-10 minutes). Add vanilla, flaxseed meal and mixed spice, and stir until incorporated.

Pour into a serving bowl and top with walnuts and an extra sprinkle of mixed spice.

Yummo!

4 comments:

LizN said...

That PN article is an awesome one. I think everyone should read that article, makes so much sense I reckon.
Rice pudding for breakfast looks awesome - might have to give this one a shot!

Charlotte Orr said...

Thanks Liz, I have just been trying to take the food I enjoy and adapt into something I can tolerate!

Becca said...

Oh, that rice pudding sounds so good, I think I am going to make some! I wonder how it would fair when made with unsweetened vanilla almond milk?

Charlotte Orr said...

Hi Becca, I haven't cooked with almond milk before so I'm not sure. But if you're OK with normal milk it would be fine to use that.