Thursday, July 31, 2008

Filling Up

I don't eat oats very often at the moment, but when I do, I have steel cut oats.



These are whole oats that have been chopped into small pieces. They have a firmer texture than rolled oats (which have been steamed and 'rolled').

Because they are less processed, steel cut oats take longer to cook and require more water (see some recipes here). But this means they are also much more filling - gotta be happy with that!

On a related note, the last couple of days I've tried to convince myself that I would be OK with whey if I had it in hot things (pancakes, oats) instead of shakes, but this morning my stomach disagreed. So back to no whey for me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey babe i got metamucil berry flav yesterday instead of benefibre to put in pm shake and it worked! ill take a serve of it if i feeel hungry at all too. ps thanks for making em talk about stuff like that to jen as she really encouraged me to add a bit more protein if required :) also have u tried rice flakes(the one without fruit in it?) coles has i and its yum and cheap-the measure is same dry as youd do with oats and u can add splenda if want but cinamon is uually enough-add water like aots too :)