Saturday, September 13, 2008

3 Weeks to Go

After my weight not changing much (about half a kilo) in the last month or so, I've dropped 1.3kg since last Sat. Think it's a combination of a few things:

1. being more focused now that comp is closer

2. worrying about something other than comp prep (Rob and his dad)

3. eating less - even though we changed my intake to about 1500 cals at the end of last week, I probably haven't been eating that much. Have had more low cal days than high, mostly because I haven't been that hungry (see point 2).

4. eating more veges, and a slightly higher ratio of protein. At start of comp prep I did the 40/40/20 ratio but felt like I wasn't getting enough good fats. Tried doing high fat, low carb (with a high carb, low fat day every so often) for about four weeks, but started craving more veges (it's hard to squeeze in many veges when you're only doing 10-15% carbs and still want some postworkout starchy carbs!), and I knew that I didn't want to eat less protein once my cals dropped (I like my meat!).

Training has been OK. Knew I was starting to get depleted towards the end of the week as I didn't have much energy for training, and there was little to no improvement on the previous workouts. Friday night was probably the worst, where I felt like things were actually going in reverse in a couple of cases. So had some extra starchy carbs after training. Didn't top me off though as I felt a bit irritable before going to bed (couldn't relax in my bath) and this morning TJ got a big telling-off for pulling on the lead. So had some starchy carbs after my walk. Didn't used to worry too much about carbs after my walk, but now they are around the one-hour mark, I may start to need them. I haven't been walking on an empty stomach though - usually have something small beforehand as I get nauseous doing any kind of exercise on an empty stomach. And walking TJ is not always a stroll in the park.

2 comments:

Kek said...

Nice job on the weight loss! I had a similar experience last week, but I've bounced up a bit again, dammit!

I haven't been logging my fish oil - suppose I really should though. Oops.

Anonymous said...

I think about you and TJ on your morning walks while I'm out with Kevin and he's giving me the 'extra upper body workout'. Poor Kevin has been the brunt of many a depleted moment. Then this morning I made him walk in a hail and thunderstorm. He thought his Mum was mad.