Thursday, March 10, 2011

Gluten-Free Gnocchi

I was checking out the health-food section of Woolworths on Sunday and spotted a new product: gluten-free gnocchi. I really like gnocchi but don't bother making it at home as Rob (who is gluten intolerant) can't eat it. So when I saw the gluten-free gnocchi I couldn't resist putting it in my shopping trolley



I was going to pick up some meat for dinner on the way home tonight, but as I was walking into the supermarket I remembered that we had a packet of gnocchi in the pantry, and a little bit of bacon in the freezer, so I gave the meat section a miss and went to the cheese section instead to pick up some gorgonzola cheese. One of my favourite ways to have gnocchi is with gorgonzola sauce.

Gluten-Free Gnocchi with Gorgonzola Sauce
Makes 2 (large) serves

When I got home I defrosted the four slices of lean bacon and put a large pot of water on to boil.

I put a non-stick pan on the stove on medium heat and gave it a little spray of oil. While the pan was heating, I sliced the bacon thinly, then added it to the pan.

Once the bacon was lightly cooked, I added a cup of skim milk to the pan, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon. In the meantime, I put a tablespoon of arrowroot (a gluten-free thickener) in the cup I measured out the milk with, adding a little more milk to make a thin paste. I also used a potato peeler to make zucchini ribbons.

By this stage the pot of water had come to the boil, so I added a bit of salt then poured the packet of gnocchi in.

The milk in the non-stick pan was simmering, so I poured in the arrowroot paste, stirring constantly as the mixture thickened. I added a few knobs of gorgonola to the sauce (probably about 40g), stirred it in, then turned the temperature down to low.

Once the gnocchi rose to the top of the pot (a couple of minutes), I drained them well and then added them to the gorgonzola sauce in the pan, giving the mixture a good stir.

I made a 'nest' of zucchini ribbons in each bowl, then poured half the gnocchi mixture into each, finishing off with some cracked black pepper and a sprinkle of grated parmesan cheese.


The gluten-free gnocchi was slightly heavier than regular potato gnocchi (as many gluten-free products are compared to their 'regular' counterparts) but they still had that al-dente texture that I love. Rob and I really enjoyed this meal. I would definitely buy this gnocchi again.

Do you like gnocchi? What's your favourite way to eat it?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mum loved her gnocchi and this post reminded me of her again. :o) xxx

Charlotte Orr said...

Hi Lia, glad I could bring back some happy memories. :-)