From Meals without Meat by Simon and Alison Holst
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped finely
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 (400g) can kidney beans
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- Saute onion and garlic in the oil. When soft, add the choppped green pepper, and seasonings. Cook, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking, until pepper softens, then reduce the heat.
- Drain the can of beans, keeping the liquid, and add the beans and tomato paste to the rest of the ingredients in the pan. Heat through over moderate heat. Mash the mixture with a potato masher or process in a blender or food processor. Thin down with a litte bean liquid if required.
This was quite nice. A bit more time consuming than opening a can of refried beans, but at least you can make all the ingredients organic if you choose. I would say this recipe would make three serves.