Thursday, January 31, 2008

My Body Clock is Shot

Since my last show in October I've been busy with work. I've been working long hours and not getting enough sleep. Now that things are a bit quieter, I'm trying to get back into a regular sleep schedule. I'd love to be able to get back to waking at the same time every day without an alarm clock. Although I had a relaxing day on Wednesday, I didn't do myself any favours by having 10.5 hours sleep. It meant that I didn't go to bed until late last night. This morning my furry alarm clock (my cat, Oscar) woke me at 6am as usual and even though I was really tired after being up late, I couldn't get back to sleep. My stomach started grumbling and I had to get up and eat.



I had some smoked salmon that I needed to use up, so decided to adapt a recipe for Salmon and Rocket Wraps I found yesterday. I didn't have any rocket, so decided to use spinach, but I think the rocket would have made a nice sharp contrast with the rich salmon and eggs. For my brekky I just used two eggs, 50g smoked salmon and a handful of spinach leaves.

Instructions:
Beat the eggs with freshly ground pepper. Spray oil in a nonstick frying pan. Pour the eggs into the pan and cook like an omelette. Remove, place on plate, place rocket/spinach leaves on top, then the salmon, and roll up. Slice into four pieces, like California rolls.

The recipe suggested to serve with horseradish mayonnaise but I didn't have any horseradish or mayo, LOL. If I make this again, I would probably just use one whole egg and a few whites, to make the omelete a bit bigger and lower the fat content. I would also add some more veges to up the carb count a bit. Asparagus would be nice, either on the side or inside. As made today, it had 166 cals, 12.6g fat, 26.2g protein and 0.5g carbs.

I normally train upper body on Thursday morning but I could feel my rear delts from yoga yesterday so decided to train a bit later as I knew they would be getting a bit of work in today's session.

Was feeling a bit tired by mid-afternoon and my motivation to train wasn't that high. I was tempted to have a coffee to give me a boost before training, but I was worried about getting the shakes during my workout - I've been a bit sensitive to caffeine lately if it's not within an hour or so of eating. Got to the gym without a coffee but got the shakes anyhow (see below).

Upper body training went as well as can be expected given I'd only had 4.5 hours sleep. The weights felt very heavy for the first exercise, but by the time I got to the third exercise I was into the swing of things. I do find it a little frustrating training in a 'big boys' gym sometimes as the graduation in weights can be a bit much for me at times. I go up in weight but only manage to get out 2 reps instead of 8, LOL. But it's a great atmosphere to train in. Unfortunately I left it a little long before eating a solid carb meal when I got home. I started to get hungry, then got engrossed in something else. By the time I started eating my meal, my blood sugar had already gotten pretty low. I got the shakes (which sometimes happens when I really badly need to eat) but then I also got cold sweats. Not good. Finished off my meal then lay on the couch. Could feel my eyes closing so went off to bed for a nap, at 7pm. Woke at 9pm and now I'm probably not going to get to sleep until some ridiculous wee hour.

Hope to get this sleep thing resolved soon.

3 comments:

Ursula Beck said...

YUM, that looks delish!!! Hope you are well, thanks for the congrats, bit scary hate starting new things... So what comp have you got in mind next time?

Andrea said...

That meal looks and sounds awesome Charlotte. I hope you get your sleep back to normal soon.
Andjxx

Anonymous said...

The salmon and spinach wraps sound beautiful.

Hope you managed to get some sleep last night. Its so frustrating when your body clock goes slightly wonky.

Have a great weekend