Thursday, November 22, 2007

Keep It Simple, Stupid

I have a tendency to make things difficult for myself. I overanalyze things. I found the perfect way to decribe this the other day: paralysis by analysis. I give myself too many choices then can't decide what to do. This is a problem at the moment with my food. I keep thinking about what to eat, how much to eat etc. It's taking up way too much of my time - time that should be spent working or sleeping. I just need to remember that as long as I'm consistently eating clean I'll be fine:

'Before you go psycho trying to figure out your post workout meal or order the latest supplements, realize that if you can just consistently exercise and eat clean then the rest of this stuff just does not matter. While you are busy losing your mind and eating bad because you don't have everything right, your neighbor is steadily 'out-dieting' you by eating "some" good things "most" of the time!' (Jodi Jones, Cathy Savage Fitness)

Not that I'm eating bad, but I do feel like I'm 'sweating the small stuff' too much sometimes.

9 comments:

Nic said...

Hi Charlotte,

I am with you there. Sometimes I wish I didn't think about it all so much.

It's also called the "Paradox of Choice". We have so much choice in our lives these days that the theory is that too much choice actually makes life more stressful!

Nic

Magda said...

Charlotte,

I can relate to this too. I've banned myself from using Calking now as I was just addicted to analysing everything during my comp prep. I'm also trying to keep things more balanced and not sweat and fret the small stuff.

Keep at it :-)

Maqgda

Kie said...

Hi Charlotte,
I'm doing ok thanks for asking.I'm not doing enough to have anything really interesting to blog about. My hip is slowly getting better. Take care
Kie xx

Splice said...

Oh boy i'm with you on this one!!
I'm still over analyzing every bite I take. Only i'm in a better head space due to the hard training i'm doing and loving.
Just need to take a chill pill on the food intake side of things :-)
These things take time post comp, it will happen, the body goes through so much and need time to recover.
Have a great weekend,
Deb

RaeC said...

Hi Charlotte, it's funny you should post this as I was talking to my Coach about the exact same thing yesterday. He says if you are thinking about food, talking about food and writing about food then it means you are obsessing over it and this is when you run into trouble with sticking to a diet. xxx

Ali said...

I have also been prone to over analyze things, I try very hard not to these days, learning to meditate helped heaps, although on that front, I have been very slack for ages, However, I take moments to still my mind every chance I get, it helps


Ali xxx

Tara said...

ditto Charlotte, I am often doing the exact same!! I am hoping that one day it will all become second nature and I won't have to put so much thought in to it. :o)

Em said...

You are so right!
Thankyou for this post its very helpful for me who procrastinates ALOT!!!!
Em;)

Charlotte Orr said...

Thanks everyone for all your comments. It's nice to know I'm not alone!