Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Changing my Attitude

Today I was trying to work out why I haven't been feeling very motivated lately. This happened to me last year too, although it was a couple of months later in the year. I think once the competition hype has worn off, and I get into a routine, it's hard for me to stay motivated when my next show seems so far away. Then I reminded myself, 'I shouldn't have to have a date to motivate me'. My aim is to make this my lifestyle. I'm trying to be the best I can be every day, not just for one day.

I like Craig Harper's thoughts on this:
"Plan for life beyond the emotion. Once the euphoria, the excitement and hype die down... which they always do (to some extent), you need to cope with the (occasional) lack of motivation and drive. Motivation (as we experience it) is temporary so we need to 'do' even when we don't 'feel' like it. Forever change ain't about motivation; it's about attitude, commitment, discipline, self-control and strength of character over time."

I need to do some thinking over the next few days about how I can change my attitude to help keep my momentum going. I'm thinking some affirmations will help.

1 comment:

RaeC said...

Or instead of thinking about it all and analysing it too much, do what my coach used to tell me to do... stop thinking about it so much and just get on and do.

What he means by this is to just go on autopilot and do what you need to do with regards to training and dieting because in his words "It's not rocket science." When you just go on autopilot it becomes a habit like brushing your teeth or hair. Sometimes I don't feel like brushing my teeth, but I do because it's just something we do.

Because I took his advice and just did it without thinking on it too much it is now a habit. It would actually seem strange to me not to train every day whether it be cardio or resistance because it is so ingrained and just so much a part of my day to day life... just like everything else I do day in and day out like going to work, grooming, etc.

Training and eating well needs to become just as much of a habit.

Have a great week hon xxx