Friday, March 7, 2008

Getting Healthier

I've had a quiet time workwise for the last eight weeks, so I've been been able to get on top of some of the things that slipped by the wayside when I was really busy over the Christmas/New Year period.

Sleep - this has been a big one for me. Although it took me a while to get back into a regular sleep pattern, it's finally happened. I've even been able to sneak in a nap or two after training over the last couple of weeks. At the moment I'm enjoying listening to Enya while I'm drifting off to sleep.

Yoga - I have really tight glutes and hamstrings, and a posterior pelvic tilt in my lower back (ie a flat lower back). This makes it difficult for me to get a nice curve in my lower back when I'm posing. I don't know that I'm ever going to be able to correct this structurally, but I'd like to be more flexible through this whole area. I've been doing a little bit of yoga each weekday, and it's slowly making a difference.

Organic food - I've eaten organic off and on for a few years, but have made a conscious decision to try and eat organic from now on. I buy organic groceries from the supermarket but get our fruit and veges delivered, as there isn't much of a selection at the supermarket. The egg whites I've been buying obviously aren't organic, but they are a great alternative source of protein for my husband. He teaches a couple of days a week and doesn't always have time to eat a full meal, so he will have a protein shake to tide him over. As he is gluten and lactose intolerant, it limits his choice of protein powders. He doesn't like egg white powder, rice protein powder or pea protein powder but he does like soy protein. Since he's male, I'm not sure how much soy he should be eating, so we use half soy, half egg white. The egg whites are quite runny, and they mix well in a blender, so you can't tell you're drinking eggs.

I'll be back into full-on work again next week, but am planning to try and take these new healthy habits with me. What do you do to feel healthy?

6 comments:

Magda said...

I keep a jug of freshly squeezed lemon juice in the frij and every morning the first thing I have is a big glass of hot water with the lemon juice in it. I also have a big mug of plain white tea with my breakfast every day and therefore limit the amount of milky drinks (coffee etc) that I have. Plus a heap of other stuff off and on.

Magda

RaeC said...

Looks like things are falling nicely into place for you hon... in order to feel healthy I train hard and eat well, but agree with you totally... sleep is so important in order to feel healthy. Have a great weekend xxx

RaeC said...

Looks like things are falling nicely into place for you hon... in order to feel healthy I train hard and eat well, but agree with you totally... sleep is so important in order to feel healthy. Have a great weekend xxx

Raechelle said...

You should keep up with the yoga for sure...my hubby has quite a sway back-but he's now done yoga for about 7 years-and by choosing the right moves, it has seemed to decrease the sway-So it can only help! (He does the splitz now too!)
To feel healthy-I'm with RAE-train hard and eat well as well as get lots of rest.

Ali said...

I generally eat as many salads with a wide variety of fresh veggie in them as I can fit in the week.

I've recently given up coffee and only have one occasionally, hoping to stop that as well. I agree sleep is paramount to good health and well being!!

Ali xxx

Em said...

Good luck at maintaining your wonderful habits that you have created :)
I am bad with sleeping and I am trying to create a better sleeping habit but have trouble and just toss and turn I hope that I can get into a good habit like you hun :)
Have a lovely lazy sundday arvo :)
Em:)