Cooking, Renovations and Fun Stuff

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Parsnip Mash

When I was as a kid, I think Mum used to cook parsnip and carrots and mash them together for dinner sometimes. I never really ate parsnips much after leaving home, until Rob and I went to the Noosa Food & Wine Festival in May 2011. One of the dishes we ate had parsnip puree

May 15 0004

From left to right: braised pork belly ravioli, parsnip puree, caramelised black kingfish

Rob and I both loved the parsnip puree, and not long afterwards I found a recipe for 'buttery parsnip mash' (I think it was out of one of the foodie magazines, but I copied the recipe by hand so not sure which one), and ever since then I make that whenever we get parsnips.

Buttery Parsnip Mash

Cook 750g parsnips, trimmed, peeled, coarsely chopped, in a large saucepan of boiling water for 20 minutes or until tender. Drain and return to pan. Use a potato masher to mash until smooth. Gradually add 50g chilled butter, chopped, and mash until smooth. Stir in two tablespoons thickened cream [I usually leave this out]. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with a roast or your favourite family stew.

I would say this makes four good-sized servings. I usually half the recipe and that's enough for the two of us. Last night we had it with roast chicken.

parsnip mash

Deeelicious!

No comments: