Cooking, Renovations and Fun Stuff

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Decisions, Decisions

We’re in the process of trying to make up our mind between two companies to do our renovations (removing walls in our kitchen-laundry and kitchen-dining areas and putting in a European-style laundry and island bench). Their quotes are almost the same, and they have both been pretty prompt in returning emails etc.

One is is a bathroom and kitchen company that can also do removal of walls (the owner is a kitchen designer and registered builder). They have some really nice pics on their website and I think their quality of work would be high (they have won several industry awards), but I am feeling a bit intimidated in dealing with them because they are used to working on big, expensive jobs and they will be working around our secondhand kitchen, installed by me (’cause we couldn’t afford the structural work and a new kitchen).  Their quote was based on the architectural and engineering plans I sent them (and a phone call from them to ask me some questions). The quote described all of the work to be done, with a total at the end.

The other is a building company who will bring in a joiner to do the laundry doors etc. The owner is a registered builder and a member of the Master Builders Association, and seems pretty down to earth. I sent him the plans too, and he also came around to look at what we wanted to have done in person. His quote was more ‘transparent’ in that it described all of the work to be done, with an estimate next to each trade, and a total at the end.

The kitchen company seems a bit busier – they reckon they could start in eight weeks, and the job would take four weeks to complete, whereas the builder could start in four weeks and would take two weeks to do the job.

I think Rob is leaning towards the building company, but I can’t help but get sucked in by the pretty pictures of the kitchen company.

I think writing this has helped me a bit, but if you have any thoughts I’d love to hear them!

---

On  another (but related) note, I don’t think the laundry doors I showed in yesterday’s post are going to work that well for us. Since they will be right next to the back door, there is the danger of this happening – door congestion!

laundry_001 via boutique stays flipped pic via Boutique Stays

Instead we might have to go for something like this, with large bifolds that open away from the back door

Extra wide bi-fold door via gthree.net pic via gthree

Lots to think about!

5 comments:

Magda said...

hmmm a tough one but when in doubt I go with my gut feel and I'm usually right. This has served me well over the years as I've often made better decisions than Peter who is the consumate analyser and planner (read that 'Virgo') LOL

M

Charlotte Orr said...

Thanks Magda, that sound like Rob (goes by gut feel) and me (planner), although we are both Taurus!

Kek said...

Re the doors, Charlotte: you could instal pocket slider doors. You know, the kind that open, then slide back out of the way into a narrow cavity at the sides of the cabinet. Any cabinet maker would be able to do them. I'll see if I can find a photo of hat I mean...

Kek said...

There's an example of pocket concealed doors on this site, just scroll down a bit: http://www.smartpackkit.com.au/laundry

Charlotte Orr said...

Thanks Kek, they might work!